HTML Get Started
Let’s start learning HTML now. You don’t have to follow all the topics are included here. You can skip the topic you already know about.
Create a New Folder/Directory
I recommend you to create a new folder/directory in order to keep the whole project in there. And it’s better to make the folder into a different drive, not on Desktop or into (C:) drive for your future safety.
- Open Windows Explorer by pressing Windows Key () +E
─ or, Click Start () → Computer (Windows 7 and Vista).
- Open a drive. For example ─ (D:) drive, (E:) drive, or any other.
- To create a new folder, press Ctrl+Shift+N together inside the drive.
─ or, Click the New Folder button () in the command bar.
─ or, Right-click → New → Folder () .
- Give a name for the folder (e.g. “html”) or anything else.
- Press Enter.
What Needs to Start Learning HTML
- A Browser (Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari) to test your code.
- A Text Editor like Notepad (Windows) or TextEdit (Mac).
- Educational Qualification is not so important but at least we should have ability to read and write in English. I think Primary education is much enough.
Go to notepad-plus-plus.org to download this software. And after completing download, install the software in your PC.
How to Open Notepad and Notepad++
- To open Notepad, Click Start () → All Programs → Accessories → Notepad.
- To open Notepad++, Click Start () → All Programs then scroll down and find Notepad++
─ or, type “Notepad” or “Notepad++” into Start menu Search box. The software will appear while typing.
─ even you can open it up from desktop by clicking on the Notepad++ shortcut icon if available.
Write Some HTML Code into a Text Editor
Now it’s time to write some html code into your text editor or copy the code from below.
<!DOCTYPE html> <html lang="en"> <head> <title>A simple HTML document</title> </head> <body> <h1>Hello World!</h1> </body> </html>
How to Save an HTML File.
- Press Ctrl+S or Ctrl+Alt+S (for notepad++) .
─ Or, click File → Save as from Notepad++ Menu bar.
- Select the location where you want to save the file.
- Give a name for the file with .html or .htm extension.
- Press Enter.
View an HTML File with a Browser
- Simply double click on the saved file to open it with a default browser.
─ Or, Right-click → Open with, then choose a browser.
Change the Default Open with Program
When you double click on any HTML file, the file will just open with a default program but you obviously can change this default setting.
- Right-click on the file → Open with → Choose default program
- Select a Browser and finally Click on ok button.
How to Show HTML File Extension
File extensions are not shown in Windows 7 by default. To see the files with extension like ─
- Open the Windows Explorer once again by pressing Windows Key () +E.
- Go to Menu bar ().
- Click on Tools → Folder options…, next select View tab.
- Scroll down and uncheck Hide extensions for known file types.
Show the Menu bar in Windows Explorer
By default, this Menu bar () is not shown in Windows Explorer. To show it ─
- Open the Windows Explorer.
- Click on Organize () → Layout.
- Select Menu bar.